AWARDS & ACCOLADES
In August 1997 Bright Weights won their first award namely:
- “The Best Small Stand” at the Watersport Africa ’97 exhibition at Gallagher Estate in Johannesburg.
In October 1999 Bright Weights were the winners of 2 of Africa’s most prestigious design awards namely:
- Winners of an Industrial Design Award at the 1999 SABS (South African Bureau of Standards) annual Design Institute Awards.
- Winners of the 1999 “Chairman’s Award” which is presented to the most exceptional entry by a majority of votes from the panel of judges at the annual SABS Design Institute Awards. Bright Weights competed against major multi nationals for this award. Previous recipients of this award are inter alia, the Freeplay wind up radio, the Hippo water roller and the Smartlock safety syringe.
In the same month Bright Weights won a most prestigious international award namely:
- The “Palm d’Or” (Golden Palm) award for the best new diving product in 1999 at the 26th International Underwater Film Festival in Antibes, Juan les Pins, France.
Bright Weights have been invited, free of charge, to be on various design exhibitions and shows namely:
- A retrospective exhibition: Thirty years of South African Design Excellence at the African Window Museum in Pretoria from 8/10/99 to 26/11/99 and the Design Museum, Green Point, Cape Town from 18/1/2000 to 26/2/2000.
- Featured in the SABS Design Institute Publication : “Thirty years of South African Design Excellence”.
- EXPO 2000 : A showcase of design excellence in Hanover, Germany from where 180 countries exhibit their design capabilities. Bright Weights is part of the South African exhibit. 7/2000 to 11/2000.
- An interactive exhibition of design excellence: from 31/10/2000 to 30/3/2001 at the MTN Science Centre, Century City, Cape Town.
- Mail and Guardian Television: To be featured on the “Bright Ideas” TV show which is being flighted in November 2000.
Bright Weights are the weighting system of choice at the Two Oceans Aquarium on the Victoria Alfred Waterfront in Cape Town. A letter of recommendation from the Aquarium is available for the reader’s reference.
Bright Weights are the weighting system of choice with the Africam crew, who run the shark web cam in Umkomaas, Natal.
Bright Weights have been featured in and tested by many salient international and South African publications. The many articles and letters of recommendation can be provided if the reader requires them.
The most recent accolade is from Rodales Scuba Diving Magazine (March 2001 edition). It is a US based publication and probably the most respected diving publication in the world. Bright Weights won the “Testers Choice” award in a competition involving trim systems from all over the world.